In our Joint Replacement Program, our experienced joint replacement specialists manage hip and knee arthritis using evidence-based practices. Cheshire Medical Center’s specialists are all Dartmouth-Hitchcock providers, with access to the resources and innovative approaches of New Hampshire’s only academic health system. When it comes to personalized care, close to home, you are in good hands.
View Dartmouth Hitchcock Health’s hip and knee replacement guidebooks.
Your personalized treatment plan
Our skilled orthopaedics team works with you to create a treatment plan specific to your needs, progress, preferences, and lifestyle. Your team makes sure you have all the information you need to make informed decisions, so you can be a proactive partner in your care.
Once you and your surgeon have decided that joint replacement is right for you, you receive pre-operative education. Your team works closely with you to prepare for your surgery.
Each patient’s discharge plan is personalized, too. Most of the joint replacement surgeries performed at Cheshire are outpatient surgeries, but some patients choose to transition to our Inpatient Rehabilitation unit before going home. Once home, your outpatient physical therapist supports you every step of the way, so you can get back to the activities you love.
Latest treatments and procedures
We offer non-surgical options for hip and knee arthritis. When the time for joint replacement comes, our surgeons perform:
- Outpatient total joint replacement surgery
- Partial joint replacement
- Primary total joint replacement surgery, including:
- Minimally invasive, muscle-sparing surgery approaches, including direct anterior approach for hip replacement
When you choose us to help you with joint pain, we offer you:
- Shared decision-making approach to patient care: you and your surgeon work together to decide what the right options are to get you better, faster
- Comprehensive total joint program, including extensive pre-operative evaluation and physical and occupational therapy evaluations
- Extensive, trained, dedicated team of providers: including surgeons, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, physical and occupational therapists, social workers, and nurses
- Personalized education program for joint replacement, including a live class
Collaboration for the best care
Cheshire’s orthopaedics team often coordinates with other experts as part of your personalized treatment plan. Whether your care is provided by other specialists at Cheshire or our colleagues at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC), you can expect a seamless transition of care. All of your providers within the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health system coordinate your care with electronic records. You can access these records, contact any of your providers, coordinate appointments, and more with the myD-H patient portal.
Others included in your care plan may be:
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center’s orthopaedic team
- Diagnostic Imaging and Laboratory provides images that help us design a personalized treatment plan for your joint pain.
- Hospital Medicine and Inpatient Care
- Inpatient Physical Rehabilitation provides comprehensive rehabilitation therapy with the benefits of a hospital setting, including 24/7 rehabilitation nursing care and diagnostic capabilities for complex cases.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation with a wide range of highly trained physical therapists who help restore your mobility and strength.
- Pain Management helps manage some hip and knee conditions that are not immediate candidates for joint replacement surgery.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation can offer highly specialized treatment to improve function for some complex conditions.
- Your Primary Care team.