Recovery from a major medical event like a stroke, injury, or disabling illness takes specialized, comprehensive treatment from a team of experts. Cheshire Medical Center's Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit provides comprehensive care within a hospital setting.
At Cheshire, you and your family members are the most important members of your team. Your skilled rehabilitation team will work together in partnership with you, every step of the way.
View our facility
Your rehabilitation and recovery will require hard work, persistence and patience. Together, we will develop a personalized therapy plan and support you at every turn in a nurturing and empowering environment. Our goal is always to help you return to your community and live the most active and independent lifestyle possible.
We are proud to offer you a broad range of services and support delivered by experienced, compassionate staff. We offer treatment for a full range of conditions ranging from stroke and cardiopulmonary disease to recovery from significant neurological or orthopaedic illness or injury.
Convenient medical care that surrounds you when you need it
Rehabilitation care in a hospital setting means patients are only an elevator ride away from diagnostic tests, surgical suites, and highly-trained specialists. Cheshire is also a Joint Commission-Accredited medical center, so we can offer you the safest high-quality care in our area. Learn more about inpatient rehabilitation services (PDF).
A higher level of care than skilled nursing facilities provide
Our highly-specialized inpatient rehabilitation offers treatment, medical care, and access to services that skilled nursing facilities cannot. At Cheshire,
- You will take part in at least of three hours of personalized therapy per day with our skilled and compassionate therapists.
- A physician will meet with you daily. Your entire team gathers weekly for a bedside conference with you and family to go over your progress and next steps.
- You will receive around-the-clock nursing care by registered nurses.
- Physicians are on-site at all times, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- You have access to the full range of resources and services available at Cheshire Medical Center are easily accessible. You won’t need to transfer to another facility for tests or treatments.
Moving forward: independence and mobility
From the day you are admitted, your rehab team is already working with you on your discharge plan–with the goal to return you to your home or community. We refine this plan to meet your highest level of function and your family or caregiver’s capacity to provide help for you.
We will ensure you have any assistive devices you need, like walkers or wheelchairs, and can provide a home safety assessment visit. Our connections to local support organizations help us work with you to arrange for supports and care when you return to your community.
Once you no longer need acute care, our outpatient therapists can continue your personalized therapy plan after you are discharged. Learn more about outpatient rehabilitation.