Here are the guidelines for patient admission to the Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit at Cheshire Medical Center.
Requirements for admission
- Patient would benefit from an intensive interdisciplinary approach to rehabilitation; requiring two or more therapy disciplines (PT, OT, SLP).
- Patient demonstrates a sufficient ability to achieve measurable functional improvements.
- Patient must be adequately medically stable. Their medical needs can be managed safely while they participate in required therapy sessions.
- Patient must be willing and able to tolerate a minimum of 3 hours of intensive therapy 5 days a week (with limited exceptions).
- Patient demonstrates a willingness to participate in the rehabilitation process.
- Patient requires daily physician oversight.
- Patient requires 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care.
- Patient is willing and able to participate in the rehabilitation program cognitively, behaviorally, and medically.
- Patient will require a minimum of a 5-day stay in the Inpatient Rehabilitation facility.
- Possibility of the patient’s safe community discharge is a rehabilitation priority.
The Inpatient Rehabilitation admissions team at Cheshire Medical Center
- Would like to review referrals for patients who are currently below their functional baseline. Our team will then determine if the patient meets all of the requirements for our program.
- Will consider for admission patients referred with any medical diagnosis; there are no exclusions.
Patients are not considered medically stable for transition to inpatient rehabilitation if they:
- Have unstable vital signs.
- Require telemetry.
- Have medical or psychiatric issues that would prevent full participation in the program.
- Require physical restraints.
- Are receiving IV medications that require monitoring (example: cardiac, blood pressure, pain).
- Require a ventilator.
- Require a 1-on-1 sitter (rare exceptions).
To make a referral
Contact the Inpatient Acute Rehabilitation Unit Admissions team
Please send the following information:
- Case Management evaluation and notes.
- Current medication list.
- Demographics sheet.
- History and physical.
- Most recent therapy treatment notes.
- Must include mobility and ADL status.
- Must have occurred within 2 days of referral.
- Physician consultation and progress notes.
- Pertinent labs, vitals, and imaging reports.
- Therapy evaluations (PT/OT/SLP as appropriate).