Cheshire’s gastroenterology and hepatology experts care for disorders of the stomach and esophagus, intestines, gallbladder, liver, and pancreas. Our team includes specialized advanced practice nurses, gastroenterologists, and diagnostic technicians. We also work closely with specialized surgeons in our General Surgery team.
We understand how much some gastrointestinal (GI) problems can affect your quality of life. We also know that screenings like colonoscopies and early treatment of some problems can save your life.
Colorectal cancer screenings save lives
Colorectal cancer screenings are one of the most cost-effective and efficient cancer screenings available, for one of the deadliest cancers for both men and women. Schedule your regular screenings with us if you are between 50 and 75 years of age. If your doctor determines you have a high risk for this cancer, they may recommend you have your first screening at a younger age. Contact us to schedule your screening.
Find more information about colorectal cancer screenings on the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics website:
I can understand how uncomfortable you might be, but it’s important to you and your family that you get screened for colon cancer, and if you can talk about it and be positive about it, if you can help even one person, then it’s a good thing.Rosalie Walkonen, a colorectal cancer survivor
How our team can help
Please talk to your primary care provider if you have any of the following GI symptoms. They may refer you to the experts on our team for more specialized testing and treatment:
- Blood in your stools
- Severe cramping and indigestion
- Other unusual symptoms involving your digestive tract
Some of these might turn out to be minor and easily relieved. For others, we will talk with you about further testing.
Your personalized treatment plan
Our team will work together with you from the time we first meet and throughout your treatment. We create personalized care plans for a wide range of problems.
These are some of the more common problems we treat:
- Acid reflux, heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Celiac disease, or intestinal damage caused by gluten
- Disorders of your pancreas, liver, or gallbladder
- Fecal incontinence (loss of bowel control)
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Inflamed hemorrhoids
- Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Inflammatory conditions such as microscopic colitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Problems with swallowing
- Ulcers (sores on the lining of your stomach or intestine)
Collaboration for the best care
Cheshire’s GI team often coordinates with other experts as part of your personalized treatment plan:
- General surgery, or surgery of the torso, includes surgeons specialized in colorectal procedures.
- Diagnostic imaging and laboratory can perform tests that help us diagnose and manage your health problem.
- Dartmouth Cancer Center at Cheshire includes a highly-skilled oncology team that offers world-class cancer care, including opportunities for involvement in clinical trials.
- Pelvic health rehabilitation can help some patients improve continence or recover from surgery.
- Speech therapists specialize in improving swallowing problems.
Healthwise Encyclopedia offers detailed information on some health topics related to digestion.