Kevin J. McGuire, MD, MS
Center for Pain and Spine
I believe in forging a partnership with my patients so that we can set goals and expectations together. By working together, I can understand my patients’ priorities, including the activities they want to be able to do that they cannot do. I can also understand who their support system includes and can work with them to ensure that they have a support network that will help them achieve their goals.
By using a shared decision-making process to review the patient's care goals and their resources, we can discuss whether or not surgery will meet those goals. Working together this way helps us set realistic expectations and gives the patient a voice in what really matters to him or her. It also gives us the opportunity to discuss metrics for success so that we can look back later and see whether or not we met each goal.
Part of my role at Dartmouth Health is to improve the systems that take care of patients. I understand that we can always do better for patients in everything we do, from the ease of getting to the hospital to the most complex aspects of their care while they are here. This is the concept behind the Center for Pain and Spine. The Center groups caregivers around patients specifically with spine related issues. This includes all care providers involved in this care including physicians, physical therapist, occupation therapists, nurses, social workers and psychologists. This makes it easier for patients to navigate their care.
Working in this field gives me meaning. It gives me the sense that I am doing something for the greater good of others.
Where to find me
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center1 Medical Center Drive
Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756
Cheshire Medical Center580 Court Street
Keene, New Hampshire 03431
Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinics Manchester100 Hitchcock Way
Manchester, New Hampshire 03102
Kevin J. McGuire, MD, MS
- Section Chief, Center for Pain and Spine
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, Geisel School of Medicine, Dartmouth
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, 2001
- MS, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2006
- General Surgical Internship, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1998
- Orthopedics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2003
- Orthopedic Spine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, 2004
- Orthopaedic Surgery