Are you interested in a free online consultation to see if bariatric surgery is right for you?
If you have obesity, bariatric surgery can help you get to and maintain a healthier weight and more active lifestyle. However, it is not a quick fix. Bariatric surgery is just one part of your weight loss journey—the other part requires a lifelong commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
Weight loss surgery may change your life
A weight-loss plan that includes bariatric surgery can help you make lasting improvements to your health and wellbeing.
Health benefits can include:
- Improving diabetes
- Eliminating sleep apnea
- Helping control high blood pressure
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
- Improving symptoms of joint disease, such as arthritis
- Reducing GERD symptoms, such as heartburn
- Improving fertility
Depending on your procedure, bariatric surgery may help you lose 40% to 70% of excess body weight over a period of two to three years. The outcome of your weight-loss journey all depends on your commitment to the individualized plan you create with our team.
Cheshire’s team-based approach to bariatric care
A weight-loss journey, including bariatric surgery, requires ongoing care. Our comprehensive, team-based approach is designed to help you achieve long-lasting results so you can get the most out of life.
- Compassionate, supportive experts: Cheshire’s team of bariatric specialists includes a Licensed Psychologist, Bariatric Dietitian, Nurse Practitioner, Bariatric Surgeon, and a Patient Navigator to help you every step of the way.
- Connecting with a community of support: Sustained lifestyle change is easier when you have the support of a community of people who share your goals. After your procedure, you will benefit from a support group who embraces the same healthy, active lifestyle. The Bariatric Support Group meets on the third Wednesday of each month. View our calendar for more information about this support group and other events.
Bariatric surgical procedures
At Cheshire Medical Center, we offer bariatric surgical procedures and revisions of previous procedures. If you are a possible candidate for bariatric surgery, our team will discuss which procedure is best for your needs.
- Gastric bypass surgery: This process reduces the size of the stomach. It reroutes a small portion of the small intestine so you feel full after eating only a small amount of food and absorb fewer calories.
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: In this procedure, a small, sleeve-shaped stomach is created. The sleeve reduces the size of the stomach. There is no rerouting of the intestine.
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: This can be managed at Cheshire Medical Center. We offer band adjustments, removal, and conversion to another bariatric procedure.